Monday, March 12, 2007

Bracket Up

This time of year is one that makes me long for college again...yep it is March Madness time. I think back to how I would just gorge on basketball for three weekends straight. Classes over by noon...so the rest of the day would just be spent watching college hoops. The best weekend to watch is the first weekend just because of the sheer number of games and the constant switch between games that are ending.

In fact when I worked for K-Mart I quit my job because I was tired of selling auto parts and checking out people who had gotten oil changes and they scheduled my last day of work for the '94 championship monday night. Needless to say that is the first and only time I have skipped out on work.

So now that I am out of college and actually have some semblance of responsibilities during the day I still try to get my fill of march madness. I started this back at my first job in houston. The trick is trying to estimate when the first set of early games are all going to wrap up and staking out a seat to watch them finish up while you eat lunch and catching the tip off of the next round of games. My favorite place to do this was Texadelphia on Westheimer. I made it an art form...

Now this year it is downtown fort worth. But I won't let the tradition die out. Lunches are sacred around here, so I know I will be able to get out. Probably end up at the fox and hound or the pour house. Can't wait for thursday.

And you know what...I will still stay up late, thursday and friday just like I did last year. And I will tell myself how dumb that was to do...but I can't help it I guess you could say I am addicted.

Enjoy the games and good luck with your brackets.

5 Comments:

At March 12, 2007 10:03 AM, Blogger angie c said...

This the best time of the "sports year" for me. Nothing purer in sports than this. Upsets, late nights, checking espn.com and streaming live games at your desk. Nothing better.

 
At March 12, 2007 12:56 PM, Blogger Wags said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 12, 2007 1:00 PM, Blogger Wags said...

You guys need a job where you can just turn the TV on and watch all day. One of the beauties of being in College Athletics. Bye the way Mack, I believe I called Bradley deep into the tournament and you ignored me.

 
At March 12, 2007 1:02 PM, Blogger Wags said...

Of course that was last year, this year I have no pearls of wisdom, except to tell you that Southern Illinois is very good.

 
At March 12, 2007 3:46 PM, Blogger astromack33 said...

Wags....

You are still out in cyberspace! Glad to see you pop up again.

Yes, you did tell me about bradley and I ignored the wisdom. I did have the salukis losing to kansas in my first draft.

At least like the kid said there is streaming internet so we can completely waste the day...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home