Friday, March 02, 2007

World Changing

Yesterday my niece Ava (actually my second cousin by marriage...but I digress) was taken to the hospital because she was sick. The reason - she is diabetic. What a life altering event where one day Cathie and Terry's little girl is just like everyone else and the next day she is subject to 4 shots a day, pricking her finger to monitor blood sugars, wondering what effect will this next decision have on her health, for the rest of her life.

I ache for my family. I felt the weight in Terry's voice when I talked to him about the scope of what the doctors told them. I anguish over the fact that they are going to have to explain to their precious 4 year old why mom and dad have to give her another shot today, and tomorrow and the next day.

My spirit falls when I hear how Cathie told Debbie that she prayed for her kids health every night...and know that I would have the same doubts. I think it is at these times that the Spirit groans on our behalf to God because we do not know the words.

But still, even with that world changing news, the fact is Ava is still just Ava. She is still the little girl that dressed Jack up in a tutu to dance with her. She is still the little girl that will play with Molly and put up with her. Ava has not changed, in fact now her body will begin to be more whole. She is not different, she is just Ava. I am thankful that we live where we have access to medicine and care. And I look forward to watching Ava grow.

I am thankful we have family. To grieve with, to hug, to support, to celebrate with. Keep Ava and her family in your thoughts this weekend.

3 Comments:

At March 02, 2007 8:21 PM, Blogger 1literatimommy said...

Absolutely. It broke my heart to see her so ill in the hospital. I yearn for the day when we will all be whole again.

 
At March 05, 2007 8:36 AM, Blogger angie c said...

It's hard to see good coming from situations like this. God has His way though.

 
At March 05, 2007 4:55 PM, Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Praying for lil Ava and her family.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home