Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Nicknames

There is an article in this months New Yorker magazine about nicknames. I haven't read it all yet, but it got me thinking about old times with my buds from college and high school. Almost everyone had a nickname, some were straighforward like a derivation of an actual surname, some were crafted over time. Here is a sampling of some of my favorites.

My friend Justin in 8th grade we called him the running maniac for how much he ran during track...that eventually evolved into the running man, and then just the man. Even today when talking about or too him I don't know anyone that doesn't call him "man".

Of course there is Kevin who broke the rules at ACU to live with us off campus before he could. So he got nicknamed the Kid

My friend Jeff, who just changed the last f to an e in spanish class thereby becoming "the boss" - Jefe.

Our neighbor on 1333 Westheimer with the asian wife who seemed confined to the house = Lt Dan. ("who goes to nam and doesn't like the rock and roll" - that is a joke for 3).

A guy named Premeaux, so we called him the Lousiana Swamp Rat, and ultimately just shortened it to Rat

Some surname nicknames: Herzog = "Zog", Wagner = "Wags", Neale = "Nanner", Runkles = "Runks"

Some teacher nicknames: Lord Jim, Orca, Batwings, The Mole, The Bash

Some nicknames not given as a compliment: The Golden Bear, The Pear, Munster, Poodle, Ghost, Shaw

And even my own nickname had a developmental history. Many people misspell my last name...ending it mick instead of mack. So that was my nickname - mickormack...which eventually just shortened to mick.

Anyone have any good nicknames to share?

5 Comments:

At February 21, 2008 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At February 22, 2008 8:58 AM, Blogger Nicole B said...

My nickname in college was "the general," given to me by one of my soccer coaches. At the time I thought it was cool, but looking back...i think that it means I was bossy. i know...shocker.

 
At February 22, 2008 3:20 PM, Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Mine was "toothpick" - oh to be called that again - but I am sure it wasn't a compliment! Love, nana

 
At February 24, 2008 1:56 PM, Blogger 1literatimommy said...

My nickname, long before you met me, was Airhead. not very complimentary, but it is funny how nicknames can cultivate identity: I even had an "airhead" look to go with my nickname. And, that is totally embarassing.

 
At February 26, 2008 8:23 AM, Blogger angie c said...

and they still havent caught me!

Angie and I both refer to each other as "pute." This comes from the word puta in Spanish. It's not what you think it is but it's still doesnt make any sense why we'd call each other that!? It started when we moved to Memphis and I cant remember why!

Nora is buttercup and or cubby butts depending on her mood.
-dogs-
Daisy-is Buddy or Rutherford Lumpkins
Denver is meat head or Denny boy

Thhis all sounds like a cast from the Outsiders.

Mine before I moved Norbin and Doddie's crib, next door to Lt Dan (thanks for that..it's been a while) always refereed to my waifer thin physique. It was "stick" or "mantis" or whatever. WHY CANT I GAIN WEIGHT!? I realize by saying that, people will start cussing me. To that I call you all putas!

the kid

 

Post a Comment

<< Home