Monday, October 29, 2007

Killing a good thing

I have to admit something...I am not the most fervent Harry Potter fan. Otherwise, I would have known long before I finally did that sometime in the past couple of weeks that Dumbledore was gay.

And yes, I am going to rant about Harry Potter. If you aren't interested just skip this blog and come back next week when there will probably be a post Halloween recap.

My initial reaction to the news that J.K Rowling had reveled Albus Dumbeldore's sexual preference wasn't disgust at the news or the character or even the sexual preference, it was disgust at the author. Why she just won't shut up and let a good thing stand on its own. I really just sat there and said to myself...now what is the point in her saying that?

I assume that you could make some arguments that in the last book Rowling left open the possibilities of Dumbledore the not so great. But the key thing is...nowhere in the cannon of Harry Potter is sexual preference of the adults ever linked to the story. Whether someone was gay or not had no bearing on the good vs. evil story line taking place. It had no bearing on their character. All of the characters could be classified as flawed in someway or another: Snape - too bitter, Lupin - not confident, Sirius - quick to act, Death Eaters - loyal to a fault, but nowhere in the story does it matter one flit about sex.

And it makes me angry that Rowling is trying to make a political point after the fact that she didn't have the courage to put into the text to develop a very critical character.

For a moment after I read the quote from Rowling I almost thought about taking all my potter books out to the garage (where my other books live lives banished from the comforts of a bookcase), not because Dumbeldore is gay, but because the author has betrayed her own work. One that I had enjoyed. For now the books stay...as long as Rowling can keep her mouth shut.

If you want to read more, this NY Times literary critic can explain the issue a lot better than me.

Dumbeldore gay?

2 Comments:

At October 30, 2007 3:43 PM, Blogger 1literatimommy said...

I agree: once an author has spoken through his/her text, she should not be allowed to comment on it. If it were important to the text, her millions of readers would have picked up on it. She is using the popularity of her text as a megaphone to condone homosexuality. I personally don't really care one way or another if a person/character/whatever is gay or straight. But, that she is allowed to still be orally revising backstories of her text is really pathetic to me, too. Not to mention, is it really appropriate material for a text directed at children? I think not, but whatever. She is richer than the queen of England. I just wish she'd shut up, too.

 
At October 31, 2007 10:26 PM, Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

I for one, saw from the beginning about poor old Dumdeldore - his mixed feelings about life, his not knowing his parents, his need to live alone, his need to save the condemned .....why not just be gay!!! I hate to see your Potters go to the garage - after all you did by the hard copies! Don't worry maybe "Old" Dumdeldore is show up at your door and explain everything to you - maybe just maybe - jk was just protecting him....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home