Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Cars, friends and school plays

Yesterday was Jack and Molly's pre-school end of term performance. Lets just say that it is clear these kids go to school in Colleywood. The stage at our chruch had a stream, a fake camp fire, huge tree, and a cabin that had a working chimney.

It was also Jack's pre-school graduation but instead of actually sending him to kindergarden (the horror!) he will do advanced post pre-school, pre-kindergarden stuff (I guess) for another year.

And to top everything off...Jodi was going to miss it. Had to work at TCC - tell the kids what they ended up getting for the semester. So it was solo mission for Dad.

Headed off and the Durango wasn't feeling right. That is ok I think to myself...it is just a piecer anyway. Molly starts crying. "I can't get the bow out of my hair". Look back and yes, in the time it has taken to drive out of the neighboorhood MOlly has pulled out the ponytails and exactly matching bows that mom had managed to put in. Well, I will do my best to put them back in at the show.

Get to the light to turn into McDonalds and yep...that smells bad and yep...that is smoke and sure enough...it is coming from my car. So pull into the McDonald's and look at where the smoke is coming from to make sure there is no fire. Other than that I am stumped. Know nothing about cars. Now, panic time.

How am I going to get these kids to their program on time...can't drive the truck, afraid it will blow up. Call Nana and Papa. Get your butts here and save me. Of course they will, but figuring it out in my head...no way they get here and we get there in time. Call better half...don't worry just take them home. To heck with that, I will find a way. Call neighbor Natalie. Sure enough she agrees to come rescue us.

Get the kids happy meals...like I am happy right now...nothing for me. Natalie arrives and off we go. Getting better, we are going to make it. Sure enough right on time. But I am so frazzled there is no way I am getting Molly's bows back in.

Off to watch the show and it goes off without a hitch. Unless you count the time where jackson was standing straight up crying a little when everyone else on stage was kneeling down. Other than that...perfect performance! Molly hit all her moves and is a natural in the lime light. In jack's defense he probably could have used a nap and was really tired.

So huge thanks to Natalie for saving us so the show could go on!

Now to see how much my pocket book gets hurt for the car repairs....

7 Comments:

At May 08, 2008 9:55 AM, Blogger Nicole B said...

Such a good dad to work so hard to get them there on time!

Fingers crossed that the Durango doesnt cost and arm and a leg!

 
At May 08, 2008 12:21 PM, Blogger Cody said...

i'll keep the durango in my thoughts and prayers

 
At May 08, 2008 12:21 PM, Blogger Cody said...

good work getting them there!

 
At May 08, 2008 1:36 PM, Blogger bettysue said...

What kind of a neighbor is Natalie??? Can't she put the bows in Molly's hair!!! Man, can't find good neighbors!!

 
At May 08, 2008 9:35 PM, Blogger debrabain@sbcglobal.net said...

Now that I think about it - you did look a little "shell shocked"! But, you did great and the kids did great, and it's time to get a new jeep - you know God provides!! Just go pick one out - it's that simple! Life only gets rough when you walk them down the isle! Or have to stay in a motel when the "girlfriend" gets to stay w/Jack...Good times!

 
At May 13, 2008 3:59 PM, Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Dude........sorry but it sounds like you handled it all very gracefully! I have never seen you mad or lose your cool- your a great example for your kids! Good luck with the car situation.

 
At May 14, 2008 8:42 AM, Blogger angie c said...

Awesome. Did you cuss like the dad on A Christmas Story? Doubt it. I probably would have. Buy Japanese. They dont smoke!
k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home