Thursday, September 28, 2006

Censorship

Today as I checked Yahoo the headline was about banned books - or more specifically books that had been challenged the most to be available in school libraries and which of those books (there was a list of 100) are the most searched on the web.

Here is the link I was looking at - but I have listed the books below that were the most searched on the requested books to be banned list.

"Harry Potter" (Series) (J.K. Rowling)
"To Kill a Mockingbird" (Harper Lee)
"The Color Purple" (Alice Walker)
"The Outsiders" (S.E. Hinton)
"Lord of the Flies" (William Golding)
"Of Mice and Men" (John Steinbeck)
"Goosebumps" (Series) (R.L. Stine)
"How to Eat Fried Worms" (Thomas Rockwell)
"The Catcher in the Rye" (J.D. Salinger)
"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" (Mark Twain)
"The Giver" (Lois Lowry)
"Brave New World" (Aldous Huxley)
"The Adventures of Tom Sawyer" (Mark Twain)
"Captain Underpants" (Dav Pilkey)
"The Anarchist Cookbook" (William Powell)
"Carrie" (Stephen King)
"Flowers for Algernon" (Daniel Keyes)
"The Dead Zone" (Stephen King)
"I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" (Maya Angelou)
"Go Ask Alice" (anonymous)
"American Psycho" (Bret Easton Ellis)
"The Chocolate War" (Robert Cormier)
"James and the Giant Peach" (Roald Dahl)
"The Pigman" (Paul Zindel)
"A Wrinkle in Time" (Madeleine L'Engle)

Some of these selections make absolutely no sense to me. I am happy to say that I have read 9 of these (well technically 14 if you count every Harry Potter book, 1-6 so far)- although that is by far probably not enough. There are some I would never read - the Stephen King and American Psycho hold no interest to me, but I don't think they should be banned.

A couple of funny observations on the list. I read A Wrinkle in Time in 5th grade. This was in our school ciriculum - I guess I was bombarded with something I shouldn't have been. Also, a family member makes the list, S.E. Henton is a distant cousin of mine.

Some of these books are being protested because they use racial slurs. So what? That was the truth, these things were said during these periods that the books were being written about. By reading this you are not agreeing to what is being written about. By that logic reading a book about the holocost or other atrocity would say you accept that too. To not read and challenge why this was so or what in that era led these injustices to be viewed with caviler attitudes makes you less of a person in my opinion.

Of course I will defend Harry Potter until the day I die as being a wonderful book series (check out my links). It has characters that have been developed with complexities and story lines that are as old as time - good vs. evil. The books have no profanity, no sexuality, but are wonderful stories that can entertain a simple mind like mine. It also points out that good doesn't always win without a loss and that evilness can be in degrees and that sometimes being silent is actually and acquiesence to evil.

But the issue is they are wizards. So what? Have you watched the Wizard of Oz? Do you think the stories of King Arthur should be taught? (there was a wizard in that too). Or what about Lord of the Rings - I think there are some wizards in that as well?

I don't know a single person that if they could wave a wand and have the dinner pots clean themselves wouldn't do it.

Harry Potter is a story for entertainment, an outlet for kids to relish in the joy of reading. It is not a handbook to create an army of occultists.

Now I have to back to my self-cleaning pots and make sure my house elf is going to be preparing dinner....

4 Comments:

At September 28, 2006 10:33 AM, Blogger Wags said...

I have also read 9 of these outlandish books and let me tell you I am the better for having done so. People are stupid, period end of sentence, they are threatened and have no sense. Therefore, anything and everything that does not perfectly match up with their own world view has to be feared. They are not able to formulate arguments or opinions or make convincing arguments, so they shout for censorship. Plain and simple, it is this ridiculous thinking that is also at the forefront of the whole "political correctness" movement, which has rendered our writing and speaking, at least publically, to have zero meaning. We can't have an opinion or voice it, we all just have to be little sheep, scared and running. We are Sheepeople, and should really be ashamed.

 
At September 28, 2006 1:21 PM, Blogger 1literatimommy said...

I totally agree with Wags and astromack; although, i am so tired i am unable to formulate a valid argument to cement my point :) (darned tv watching at night maybe i should pick up the outsiders tonight instead of gorging on pop culture). thanks for both of your articulate analysis of censorship. today, there was a woman on the morning shows decrying harry potter for its portrayal of wizardry. I wish I could have admonished her portrayal of christianity!

 
At October 01, 2006 10:53 PM, Blogger Lisa Renee said...

I was required in school to read four of those on the list. That is strange that they are now possibly going to be banned, kind of weird in a world where they are taking God out of veggie tales and allowing just about anything else on television. Why so hard on books?????????

 
At October 02, 2006 5:09 PM, Blogger angie c said...

I've never read Captain Underpants but I can imagine the impact that might have had on my life.

the L mommy is right. Why do so many christians put their time and energy into things that don't matter?

Sheepeople is a good band name. Thanks Wags and good to hear from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home