Sunday, July 02, 2006

Nighttime songs

I can't recall exactly how it started...in one of the desperate attemts to get Jack to go to sleep in his big boy bed and calm him down I just started to sing. Now each night as we put Molly right to bed and she sweetly goes to sleep, then we start the routine with Jack. Read some books - I say some because once you are done with one he will tell you the next one to read - until you have to cut him off. And how do we cut him off - by singing songs.

It is a little like the piano bar at Pat O'Brians for nighttime in Jacks bed. I sing a song and then it is either "do it again" or a request for another of the timeless classics. Right now we are still on church songs, so in that respect it is probably night and day from a night at Pat O's.

Sometimes this routine seems to drag on and on, and some nights I wonder why big brother can't be a bit more like little sister when it comes to sleep. But then there are nights like tonight, where momma actually put him to sleep, but then 15 minutes later he starts to cry. So I walk in to ask what is wrong and I hear "Sing a song - Jesus loves me".

Thank you Jack for letting me sing to you.

5 Comments:

At July 02, 2006 8:58 PM, Blogger 1literatimommy said...

i love it when you sing to him. it is so sweet and fleeting: I know jack and dad won't be singing songs when he is 16, but for now, i think it is alittle slice of heaven.

 
At July 09, 2006 3:03 PM, Blogger Lisa Renee said...

Okay, you are just too dang sweet. He is going to have such fond memories of that as he grows. Sure miss you guys.

 
At July 12, 2006 10:25 PM, Blogger angie c said...

So cute!

I just figured out that astromack was you, Mike. I'm an idiot...and apparantly my husband is not because there are several comments from him on this blog. Consider yourself added to my favorites.

 
At July 12, 2006 10:28 PM, Blogger angie c said...

Okay...Kevin just told me you two used to sit around and harmonize together in the youth group when you were bored.

wait...I'm trying to picture two brace faced skinny high school boys sitting alone in a corner going "Come Fill My Cu-up and Let it Overflow... I got bass on this one...no I called it first."

ha!!!

 
At July 13, 2006 10:29 AM, Blogger astromack33 said...

It was probably worse than you think, Angie. At least Kevin has been able to rock out a bit now that he is sans braces. I don't know that i have ever moved past dork status.

plus I could never sing bass...don't have the pipes for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home